Canon EOS C500 Mark II 5.9K Full-Frame Camera Body (EF Mount)
- 14.50 LBS
- Full-Frame CMOS Sensor, DIG!C DV 7 Chip
- Full-Frame, Super 35, and Super 16 Modes
- DCI 4K/2K, UHD 4K, and HD Modes
- User-Changeable Lens Mounts
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Internal Canon RAW Light Recording
- Internal XF-AVC Recording
- 2 x CFexpress Card Slots, SD Card Slot
- Canon Log 2 and Log 3 Gamma
- 4-Channel Audio Recording
The Canon EOS C500 Mark II 5.9K Full-Frame Camera Body is part of the Cinema EOS lineup of cameras, and it features a full-frame CMOS sensor with an effective 18.69MP resolution. This allows it to feature a 5.9K output in full frame, and crop (window) the sensor for Super 35 and Super 16 frame sizes while maintaining a high resolution. The C500 Mark II comes with a Canon EF mount and features an interchangeable lens mount system, allowing you to swap out the mount in the field for an optional Cinema Locking EF or PL mount, thus greatly expanding the amount of glass you can use with the camera. The sensor features over 15 stops of dynamic range and Dual Pixel autofocus support, and the camera uses a DIG!C DV 7 chip for image processing.
The camera internally records raw using the Canon Cinema RAW Light codec in 12- or 10-bit, or you can capture using the XF-AVC codec in 10-bit. Internal recording is done to CFexpress cards via two CFexpress card slots. 8-bit proxy recording in the XF-AVC codes, as well as JPEGs, can be captured onto an SD card via the built-in SD card slot. Supporting a variety of gamma settings including Canon Log 2 and Log 3, as well as supporting a variety of color gamuts including Cinema BT.2020, DCI-P3, and legacy BT.709. LUT importing is supported of course. The camera supports four channels of 24-bit, 48 kHz linear PCM audio recording.
*NOTE: Currently only the 512GB SanDisk CFExpress Card TYPE B is compatible
The full-frame CMOS sensor captures a clean, low-noise image with over 15 stops of dynamic range, and it has a color gamut that exceeds the BT-2020 specs. The sensor is capable of capturing footage in a variety of aspect formats, including DCI-4K, UHD and Anamorphic Widescreen. In addition to shooting using the sensor's full-frame size, you can use a variety of spherical and anamorphic glass designed for Super 35mm and Super 16mm capture using appropriate sensor crop modes, lens mounts, and adapters.
DIG!C DV 7 Image Processor
The EOS C500 Mark II uses the DiG!C DV 7 image processor that takes the extensive raw information captured from the 5.9K sensor. The DiG!C DV 7 enables high frame rate recording, Dual Pixel Auto Focus, Canon RAW Light Recording, HDR (PQ and HLG) output, electronic image stabilization, proxy recording, and oversampling processing. The high-speed DIG!C DV 7 enables the camera to simultaneously record 2K proxy files as XF-AVC 2K 4:2:0 8-bit to an SD card, while you are recording Cinema RAW Light files (5.9K, 4K Crop, or 2K Crop) to the internal CFexpress cards.
Interchangeable Lens Mounts
the C500 Mark II comes standard with a Canon EF lens mount that works with and has electronic iris control of a variety of Canon EF, ENG, and Canon Cine-Servo lenses. An optional EF Cine Lock mount also features the Canon EF electronic protocols, and it removes any play when mounting EF lenses to your camera. An industry-standard PL mount is also available, enabling using virtually any PL-mount lens on your C500 Mark II. The lens mounts are field-swappable by the user, and each mount comes with a set of shims for setting the correct depth. An optional B4 lens adapter is available for either the PL or EF lens mount; this adapter allows you to use B4 mount ENG-style lenses on your C500 Mark II.
Dual Pixel CMOS AF with support for Touch AF and Face Detection AF
- DAF technology utilizes the fact that each pixel in the camera's CMOS sensor is configured with two photodiodes. Two independent image signals can then be detected at each photosite and compared using phase-difference to provide autofocus with compatible lenses. DAF can survey the scene and recognizes not only whether the subject is in focus or not, but in which direction (near or far) and by how much. Enabling auto-focus lenses to react when necessary and not have to "hunt" for focus.
- DAF technology can also be used to aid in manual focus. Focus information is translated to an on-screen guide that conveys to the operator the subject's current focus and direction to move in order to achieve focus. When sharp focus is achieved, the indicator turns green as a clear indication.
- You can also use DAF and the camera's touchscreen LCG to simulate a focus pull using preset locations. After setting two separate focus locations on the screen, the camera's set button can be used to alternate between the two focus points. The focus racking effect can be fine-tuned by adjusting AF tracking speed and response.
Focus control includes Dual Pixel CMOS AF (DAF), Manual Focus, One-Shot AF, Continuous AF, AF-Boosted MF, and Face Detection AF
Please note: Only lenses that support AF functions can be used in these modes.
Shutter settings include Speed, Angle, Clear Scan, Slow, or Off mode. Either 1/3 or 1/4 steps selected as speed increments.
Electronic Image Stabilization
A new feature to the Cinema EOS ecosystem, the C500 Mark II features built-in five-axis electronic IS that works with almost any lens, including anamorphic lenses.
- Slow and fast motion recording
- Relay recording
- Double slot recording
- Custom picture settings
- Color bars
- My Menu settings
- Waveform monitor
- Assignable buttons
- Key lock
- Marker display
- Enlarged display
- Custom display
- Control via Browser Remote
- Peripheral illumination correction
- Diffraction correction
- Built-in monaural microphone
- Fan control
Optional Expansion Modules
- Expansion unit 1 adds genlock/sync out, remote B (RS-422), and Ethernet ports, making the camera well suited for multicamera live production and streaming.
- Expansion unit 2 expands the compact form factor and adds two additional XLR audio inputs, lens control port, 24-volt DC out, and D-Tap power, in addition to genlock, sync out, remote B (RS-422), and an Ethernet port. It also allows the camera to be powered using industry-standard V-mount batteries.
LOG and LUT Support
- Canon Log is designed to reproduce the entire tonal range that the CMOS image sensor is capable of. Log workflows provide the user with higher dynamic range, more highlight and shadow retention, and more flexibility in grading.
- Canon Log 2 provides the most post-production flexibility and full dynamic range of the sensor. It typically requires more time in color correction.
- Canon Log 3 provides an alternative with only a slightly reduced dynamic range of 14 stops, which may speed up the post-production time.
- In addition to Canon Log 2 and Log 3, the camera also supports Wide DR, Normal 1, HDR-PQ, and HDR-HLG
- Users can use the included LUTs BT.709, BT.2020, DCI, ACESproxy, HDR-ST2084, or upload and apply custom LUTs to the outputs of the EOS C500 Mark II. LUTs can be assigned to specific output terminals and the LCD or viewfinder. Allowing each output to use a different LUT is great for giving different departments the look they need.
The camera supports drop frame (in 59.94 Hz mode only) and non-drop in all other modes. You can set the timecode to Rec Run, Free Run, and Regen.
White Balance Modes
AWB, Kelvin setting (2000-15000K / -20 to +20CC), Daylight, Tungsten, Set (A/B)
An optional EVF is available separately.
Wireless streaming is available via a proprietary port on the camera body that requires a WFT unit (not included).
The camera includes a battery and power supply for charging the battery. An optional power supply for powering the camera from mains power is not included.
Lenses that Support Auto Iris
- EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
- EF 24-105mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
- EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- EF-S 18-55mm f/4-5.6 IS STM
- EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS II USM
- EF-S 35mm f/2.8 Macro IS STM
- EF 85mm f/1.4L IS USM
COMPACT SERVO lenses
- CN-E 18-80mm T4.4 L IS KAS S
- CN-E 70-200mm T4.4L IS KAS S
- CN7x17 KAS S/E1
- CN7x17 KAS S/P1
- CN20x50 IAS H/E1
- CN20x50 IAS H/P1
ENG broadcast lenses
2/3 mount lenses which allow for 12-pin communication using a B4 mount. The optional MO-4E or MO-4P B4 adapter is required.
- HJ14ex4.3B IASE S
- HJ18ex7.6B IASE S
- HJ24ex7.5B IASE S
- HJ17ex7.6B IASE S
- HJ22ex7.6B IASE S
- CJ45ex9.7B IASE-V H
- CJ45ex13.6B IASE-V H
- CJ24ex7.5B IASE S
- CJ14ex4.3B IASE S
- CJ18ex7.6B IASE S
|Image Sensor Size||Full-Frame|
|Sensor Resolution||Actual: 6062 x 3432 (20.8 MP)|
|Resolution Modes||5952 x 3140 in 17:9 Recording in DCI 4K, DCI 2K
5580 x 3140 in 16:9 Recording in UHD 4K, 1080p
|ISO||160 to 25,600 (Native)
100 to 102,400 (Expanded)
|Lens Mount||Canon EF|
|Lens Communication||Yes, with Autofocus Support|
|Internal Filter Holder||No|
|Built-In ND Filter||Mechanical Filter Wheel with 2 Stop (1/4), 3 Stop (1/8), 4 Stop (1/16), 6 Stop (1/64), 8 Stop (1/256) ND Filters|
|Built-In Microphone Type||Mono|
|Recording Media||2 x CFexpress Card Slots
1 x SD (Unspecified Type) Card Slot
|Raw Recording||Cinema RAW Light 10-Bit, 12-Bit:
5952 x 3140 at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
4096 x 2160 at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
3840 x 2160 at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps
|Recording Modes||XF-AVC 4:2:2 10-Bit:
4096 x 2160p at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (160 to 810 Mb/s)
3840 x 2160p at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (160 to 810 Mb/s)
2048 x 1080p120 fps (160 to 810 Mb/s)
1920 x 1080p at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (160 to 810 Mb/s)
1920 x 1080i at 50/59.94 fps (160 to 810 Mb/s)
XF-AVC 4:2:0 8-Bit:
2048 x 1080p at 23.98/24/25/29.97/50/59.94 fps (24 to 35 Mb/s)
|Gamma Curve||Canon Log, Canon Log 2, Canon Log 3, HDR-HLG, HDR-PQ, Normal 1,, Wide DR|
|Audio Recording||4-Channel 24-Bit 48 kHz LPCM Audio|
|Video Connectors||1 x BNC (12G-SDI) Output
1 x HDMI Output
1 x Monitor Output
1 x Monitor Output
|Audio Connectors||1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Stereo Mic Level Input
1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm Stereo Headphone Output
|Screen Resolution||2,760,000 Dots|
|Battery Type||Canon BP-A Series|
|Dimensions||6.6 x 6 x 5.8" / 16.76 x 15.24 x 14.73 cm|
|Weight||3.9 lb / 1.77 kg|