- Full-Frame | f/1.4 to f/16
- G-Master Design with Advanced Optics
- Two XD Linear AF Motors, Internal Focus
- Focus Hold Buttons & Iris Lock Switch
- Physical Aperture Ring & De-Click Switch
- Rounded 11-Blade Diaphragm
- Nano AR II & Fluorine Coatings
- Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
The Sony FE 50mm f/1.4 GM Lens utilizes cutting edge G Master technology to combine extraordinary resolution and naturally rendered bokeh in the most compact and lightweight lens in its class. Precise, rapid AF, smooth operability, and rugged reliability highlight this large-aperture standard prime lens.
G Master Resolution and Bokeh
- Two XA (extreme aspherical) elements minimize aberrations and distortions while also providing outstanding resolution and sharpness.
- One ED (extra-low dispersion) glass element effectively eliminates chromatic aberration and color fringing to produce a high degree of clarity and color accuracy.
- Applied to specific elements, a Nano AR Coating II greatly reduces reflective light to decrease ghosting and flare for increased contrast and color accuracy in strong lighting conditions.
- Bright f/1.4 maximum aperture provides a very shallow depth of field for pleasing background blur when using selective focus techniques.
- Ideal for portraits, a circular 11-blade aperture produces deep and dreamy bokeh.
- Beyond depth of field control and pleasing bokeh, the lens's f/1.4 aperture also allows for handheld shooting in low-light conditions.
- Maximizing the advantages of the latest camera bodies, two XD Linear Motors provide quick, quiet, and precise autofocus and subject tracking performance. Designed to enhance control for both still and movies, this design also provides natural manual focus control when desired. Located on the lens barrel, an AF/MF switch enables tactile control for these settings.
- Internal focusing design offers more responsive focusing performance and maintains a consistent overall lens length during operation.
- Minimum autofocusing distance of 16" allows for dynamic close-up images.
Controls and Functions
- New for Sony primes, an iris lock switch prevents the aperture ring from being accidentally moved. This switch can also be unlocked allowing the aperture ring to rotate seamlessly and silently.
- Benefitting video applications, an easy-to-read aperture ring with f-stop engraving can be quickly de-clicked on the lens barrel for smooth and silent aperture control.
- Two focus hold buttons are featured on the lens barrel for intuitive control and rapid access to select settings.
- Tactile in its design, a Linear Response manual focus ring provides fine linear focus control.
Compact and Durable Design
- Despite its wide f/1.4 maximum aperture, complex optical design, and inclusion of a high-performance AF system, this lens still manages to be compact and lightweight for everyday use, measuring 3.1 x 3.7" and weighing just 18 oz.
- Meant for use in challenging conditions, this lens features dust and moisture-resistant construction. All seams are sealed, buttons and switches have silicone rubber gaskets, and a rubber ring seals the lens mount.
- Fluorine coating on the front element repels water, oil, fingerprints, and contaminates while also making the lens easy to clean.
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Lens Format Coverage||Full-Frame|
|Angle of View||47°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||16.1" / 41 cm|
|Optical Design||14 Elements in 11 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||11, Rounded|
|Filter Size||67 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||3.2 x 3.8" / 80.6 x 96 mm|
|Weight||18.2 oz / 516 g|