- E-Mount Lens/Full-Frame Format
- Aperture Range: f/1.2 to f/16
- Three XA Elements
- Nano AR II and Fluorine Coatings
- Four XD Linear AF Motors, Internal Focus
- Focus Hold Button, AF/MF Switch
- Physical Aperture Ring; De-Click Switch
- Dust and Moisture-Resistant Construction
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Rounded 11-Blade Diaphragm
A classic normal focal length prime lens with an updated, sleek design, the Sony FE 50mm f/1.2 GM is characterized by its speed and relatively compact form factor. The versatile focal length suits shooting everything from street, portraiture, and landscape to documentary subjects, and the fast-maximum aperture excels in low light and controlling depth of field. Also, as a G Master lens, it features an advanced optical design for well-corrected imagery with a high degree of sharpness and clarity.
The combination of the lens's remarkable maximum f/1.2 aperture and 11-blade circular aperture mechanism contribute to the gorgeous G Master bokeh that really makes portrait and other subjects stand out. Three XA (eXtreme Aspherical) elements provide excellent spherical aberration control by reducing a variety of aberrations, color fringing, and distortion.
Each element features Nano AR II coating that suppresses flare and ghosting for improved contrast. Balancing the optics is an XD Linear Motor system that uses four separate focusing motors to deliver especially quiet, precise, and quick autofocus performance. The lens also sports a dust- and moisture-sealed design and fluorine-coated front lens element to support shooting in inclement conditions.
- As part of Sony's esteemed G Master series, this lens is designed to achieve notably high resolution and sharpness through the correction of a wide variety of spherical and chromatic aberrations. Additionally, these lenses feature robust and intuitive-to-handle physical designs to benefit both photography and cine applications.
- Normal perspective 50mm lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras; however, it can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Notably fast f/1.2 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also affords increased control over depth of field.
- Three XA (eXtreme Aspherical) elements are incorporated into the optical design and feature superior surface precision for effective control over astigmatism, field curvature, coma, distortion, and other spherical aberrations for a high degree of sharpness and accurate rendering.
- Nano AR Coating II has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and color rendering in strong lighting conditions. This updated coating is better suited for larger, curved elements and is especially adept at minimizing internal reflections.
- Four XD Linear Motors, along with an internal focusing design, provides quick, quiet, and precise autofocus performance. This design also contributes to more natural, intuitive Linear Response manual focus control and an AF/MF switch is located on the lens barrel for tactile control over this setting.
- A focus hold button is featured on the lens barrel for intuitive tactile control and rapid access to select settings.
- Physical aperture ring can be de-clicked for smooth, silent aperture switching to benefit video applications.
- Dust- and moisture-sealed design better permits working in inclement conditions and rubberized control rings benefit handling in colder temperatures.
- Fluorine-coated front element resists dust, moisture, and fingerprints and is easy to clean.
- Rounded 11-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality when employing selective focus techniques.
|Lens Mount||Sony E|
|Angle of View||47°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||15.7" / 40 cm|
|Optical Design||14 Elements in 10 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||11, Rounded|
|Filter Size||72 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||3.4 x 4.3" / 87 x 108 mm|
|Weight||1.7 lb / 778 g|
|Package Weight||2.835 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||8.4 x 5.6 x 5.1"|