Sound Devices MixPre-6 Audio Recorder/Mixer and USB Audio Interface
- Sound Devices
- Usually ships in 3-5 business days
- 2.65 LBS
- Kashmir Microphone Preamps
- USB Audio-Recording Interface
- Small Stature Fits Most Environments
- Navigation with Basic and Advanced Modes
- Ring LED Metering per Channel
- Built-In 1/4"-20 Mount for Videographers
- Feed Timecode via HDMI & 1/8" Inputs
- Uses AA or Sony L-Mount Li-Ion Batteries
- MX-4AA Battery Sled (No Batteries)
- 2 x USB Type-A to 1 x USB Type-C Y-Cable
The MixPre-6 Audio Recorder/Mixer and USB Audio Interface from Sound Devices is a high-resolution audio recorder with integrated USB audio streaming combined with durability that offers high-quality sound for professionals. It can be used by musicians, sound designers, podcasters, videographers, YouTubers, and field recordists in various audio applications.
The MixPre-6 features Sound Devices' Kashmir ultra-low noise, discrete, and Class-A microphone preamp. Built with 32-bit A-to-D converters, the MixPre-6 ensures audio recordings surpass those of off-the-shelf, IC-based mic preamps. The unit can function as a USB audio interface and record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB.
Furthermore, the sunlight-readable color LCD of the MixPre-6 provides convenient navigation. It is constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, is lightweight, and has a robust build. Plus, it is compact and will fit in your pocket, which is well suited for jobs on the run.
Finally, with intuitive operations and advanced mixing capabilities such as ergonomic gain-control knobs, pan and soloing, time-code input jacks, 1/4"-20 mounting capacity, 1/8" headphone monitoring, and the AA battery/Sony L-Mount lithium-ion battery powering options, the MixPre-6 is sure to meet all your audio-application needs.
- Anytime, Anywhere Audio
- The MixPre-6 is a lightweight, high-resolution audio recorder with integrated USB audio streaming and offers professional sound quality combined with durability that is suitable for musicians, sound designers, podcasters, and videographers.
- Solid Audio Quality
- Featuring handcrafted, high-performance, ultra-low-noise, discrete, Class-A Kashmir microphone preamps, the MixPre-6 has a -130 dBV noise floor, analog limiters, and 32-bit A-to-D converters. These features ensure quality audio recordings.
- USB and Recording
- The MixPre-6 makes for a versatile USB audio interface, offering the unique ability to record audio to an SD card while simultaneously streaming multiple channels of audio via USB. It is handy for interviews, podcasts, or simply as a backup recorder to your computer, and the MixPre-6 can be used for Skype or Facetime interviews and to record audio for podcasts or video blogs.
- Pocket-Sized, Unintimidating Design
- The small stature and design of the MixPre-6 will fit most production environments. It features a touchscreen for simple and intuitive operation and a sunlight-readable color LCD for convenient navigation. Constructed with a die-cast aluminum chassis, it is both lightweight and robust. The MixPre-6 is compact, so much so that it can fit in your pocket, and it's ideal for jobs on the run.
- Intuitive Operation
- The MixPre-6 bridges the gap between sound engineers, musicians, and YouTubers with user-friendly navigation featuring Basic and Advanced modes. It is designed to allow a user to start recording right out of the box.
- Advanced Mixing Capabilities
- With a full-featured mixer, the MixPre-6 offers ergonomic gain-control knobs for fast and accurate mixing. Other key features include pan and soloing plus easy-to-see ring LED metering per channel. It also includes a 3.5mm jack for headphone monitoring with user-programmable presets from its wide-bandwidth headphone amp.
- A Videographer's Dream
- As an added benefit to DSLR users, the MixPre-6 has a retractable 1/4"-20 mounting thread, making it a good match for a wide variety of cameras. This design allows for solid, low-profile tripod/camera mounting; because the male and female 1/4"-20 threads are captive, they cannot be lost and are always available. Capable cameras can feed timecode to the device over its HDMI input, which provides synchronization of sound and video. Timecode can also be fed into the unit's 3.5mm input from an external TC generator. The MixPre-6's HDMI input can also receive "record triggers" from popular cameras, which automatically start and stop recording via the camera's record button.
- Flexible Powering Options
- The MixPre-6 has multiple powering options. It can receive power from AA batteries in a convenient detachable sled of either four or eight cells. Also available is a sled that offers powering from up to two hot-swappable, Sony L-Mount lithium-ion batteries. Additionally, the entire recorder can be powered from a laptop's USB Type-C or USB Type-A connectors, offering convenient connection and powering with just one cable. For applications where AC power is available, Sound Devices offers an optional AC adapter as well.
- Wireless Remote Control
- Sound Devices Wingman, which is a free download from Apple's App Store, is a wireless interface that gives users touchscreen access to monitor meters, start and stop recordings, and edit filenames and metadata on the MixPre-6 directly from any mobile device running iOS 8.0 or later.
|Frequency Response||10 Hz to 80 kHz +/- 0.5 dB re 1 kHz @ 192 kHz sample rate|
|THD + N||0.005% max (@ 1 kHz, 22 Hz to 22 kHz BW, gain=20 dB, -10 dBu in)|
|ADC||32-bit precision; 120 dB dynamic range min (A-weighted, gain=10 dB, fader=0 dB)|
|Equivalent Input Noise||-130 dBV (-128 dBu) max, (A-weighting, gain=76 dB, 150-Ohm source impedance)|
|Inputs||Mic: XLR active-balanced; 4-kOhm input Z |
Line: XLR active-balanced; 4-kOhm input Z
Aux/Mic In: 1/8" (3.5 mm) TRS, 2-channel unbalanced; 100-kOhm input Z
USB Audio: 4 channels
All inputs fully RF-filtered and overload-protected
|Gain||Mic Input: +6 to +76 dB |
Line Input: -20 to +30 dB
Line: 1/4" TRS active-balanced; 4-kOhm input Z
Fader: -inf to +20 dB
Headphone: -inf to +20 dB
Total, Mic-to-Recording (Max): +96 dB
|Maximum Input Level||Mic XLR: +14 dBu (limiters on or off) |
Line XLR-1/4": +40 dBu (limiters on or off)
Aux/Mic In: +10 dBu
|Low Cut Filters||80 to 240 Hz (adjustable), 18 dB/oct. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital|
|Microphone Power||Mic XLRs: 48 V via 6.8-kOhm resistors, 10 mA each |
Mic 1/8" (3.5 mm): 3 V @ 3-kOhm source Z
|Limiter||Limiter at all gain stages, range >40 dB. First stage analog, subsequent stages digital|
|Digital-to-Analog Converter (DAC)||Stereo Out, Headphone Out: 32-bit precision; 115 dB dynamic range (A-weighted)|
|Stereo Output||1/8" (3.5 mm) TRS stereo unbalanced, 500-Ohm output Z, +7.8 dBu max output level|
|USB||Audio Interface (USB Type-C): 8-in/4-out; 44.1 to 192 kHz; 16-/24-bit; class-compliant USB 2.0 high-speed or ASIO (supplied) |
Mass Storage (USB Type-C): USB 2.0 high-speed
Keyboard (USB Type-A): Text entry and control
|Maximum Record Tracks||8 Tracks: Stereo mix + 6 ISOs|
|Sampling Frequency||44.1, 48, 96, 192 kHz|
|Bit Depth||16, 24|
|Storage Type||Type: SD, SDXC, SDHC card |
Max Storage Size: 512 GB (SDXC)
Card format: FAT32 (32 GB or less) or exFAT (>32 GB)
|File Type||WAV (Broadcast Wave File Format) with embedded timecode stamp and metadata|
|Timecode||Time of Day: File stamped w/current ToD |
LTC Input: File stamped w/incoming LTC on Aux 1/8" (3.5 mm)
HDMI TC: File stamped w/incoming TC from HDMI & sample clock slaved from HDMI sample clock. Only works on specific cameras that support HDMI TC
|Frame Rates Supported||Auto-Detects (FPS): 23.98 (same as 23.976) |
|Remote Control||Bluetooth Smart: Wireless control using Wingman app |
HDMI: Auto-record start/stop trigger from cameras that output record flag over HDMI
Timecode: Auto-record start/stop trigger via Aux In timecode
|Touchscreen||320x240; 1.6", color, sunlight-viewable IPS LCD|
|Power||AA Batteries: 4x AA sled (included); 8 x AA sled (optional accessory), NiMH recommended |
From Computer: Bus-powered via USB Type-C port; use MX-USBY cable (included), connects one USB Type-C to two USB Type-A ports
AC Adapter: MX-Charge (not included)
Power supply wall adapter w/ USB Type-C connector; 15 W; has 4 adapter plugs for US, UK, AU, & Europe
L-Mount: Optional sled for 2x (hot-swappable) Sony L-type Li-ion batteries
|Environmental||Operating: -4 to 140°F (-20 to 60°C), 0 to 90% relative humidity; (non-condensing) |
Storage: -40 to 185°F (-40 to 85°C)
|Dimensions (H x W x D)||6.53 x 4.65 x 1.4" (166 x 118 x 36 mm)|
|Weight||19.9 oz (.56 kg) without batteries|
|Package Weight||2.65 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||10.5 x 7.4 x 4.2"|