- 20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor
- UHD 4K30p Video, Pre-Installed V-Log L
- 5-Axis Hybrid Image Stabilization
- OZO Audio with Subject Tracking
Built for vloggers, the Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 is a mirrorless Micro Four Thirds camera with a specialized feature-set for multimedia content creators. With a 3.0" touchscreen LCD with free angle tilting for easy selfie framing, 4K video recording, and optimized OZO audio by Nokia, the G100 also has a compact, bring-anywhere design for travelog and on-the-go shooting.
Beyond just competent imaging capabilities, the G100's sleek design also incorporates a high-resolution electronic viewfinder for bright and clear eye-level shooting and a unique vlogging-specific user interface is featured that makes recording a more intuitive process. Benefitting both stills and video is 5-axis sensor-shift Hybrid I.S., which compensates for camera shake when walking or moving in order to deliver sharper and smoother footage. Additionally, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth also enable wireless connectivity for quickly sharing photos and videos to your smartphone or for remotely operating the camera.
Digging into the imaging capabilities a bit more, the G100 has a 20.3MP MOS Micro Four Thirds sensor and Venus Engine image processor, which contribute to smooth image quality, low noise, and a high dynamic range. UHD 4K video recording is supported up to 30p, as well as Full HD at 60p, and external FHD recording is possible via the micro-HDMI port. The sensor and processor also enable DFD autofocus, for quick and precise focusing and subject tracking, as well as creative 4K PHOTO, Post Focus, and in-camera Focus Stacking modes.
- Benefitting recording while walking, riding, or even just working in low-light conditions, 5-axis Hybrid I.S. is an optimized image stabilization system that works in conjunction with lens-based OIS to reduce the appearance of camera shake for smoother video footage and sharper stills.
- The rear 3.0" 1.84m-dot LCD features a static touchscreen design for intuitive and responsive use and it has a free-angle design that benefits working from high, low, and front-facing (selfie) angles.
- Updated UI for vlogging includes a REC Frame Indicator, which presents a red border around the image frame, so you can easily confirm recording or not. Also, a Frame Marker overlay can be used to highlight the specific region of the frame that will show depending on the selected aspect ratio, which is perfect for direct output to social media platforms.
- Vertical video recording support is especially useful for video content intended to be viewed on a smartphone.
- Dedicated Video Selfie Mode can be set to automatically begin when the screen is rotated forward and will automatically highlight the main subject by optimizing depth of field, using face detection AF and AE settings, and automatically configuring the sound pickup range area depending on where the subject is.
- OZO Audio, by Nokia, has been integrated to enable spatial audio recording via three built-in microphones for improved richness and accuracy depending on where the desired sound is coming from. These three internal mics, which can be configured manually or automatically, also enable a unique Tracking setting, which works in conjunction with the detected angle of view of the lens and face recognition functions, for clearer audio during interviews, selfie videos, or in other speaking situations. For manual control, you can select Surround for recording within a wide range in all directions; Front, for recording subjects in front of the camera; and Back, for recording yourself or another subject behind the camera.
20.3MP Digital Live MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
Optimized for high-speed, high-resolution imaging, the G100 features a 20.3MP MOS Micro Four Thirds sensor, without a low pass filter, and an enhanced Venus Engine processor to create sharp, detailed stills and UHD 4K video. This configuration maximizes resolution while keeping noise to a minimum, permitting the use of sensitivities up to ISO 25600.
UHD 4K Video Recording
Versatile video capabilities means the G100 can record UHD 4K at up to 30p, with 8-bit color depth and 4:2:0 sampling while recording internally, along with Full HD at up to 60p. Alternatively, Full HD external recording is supported via micro-HDMI with 4:2:2 sampling and 8-bit color depth. V-Log L has been pre-installed and is used to capture a flat, neutral gamma curve well-suited for grading in conjunction with a LUT for greater control over color. Also, for creatively affecting how motion is portrayed, 4x and 2x slow and 8x, 4x, and 2x quick motion settings can be used with Full HD recording and Time Lapse and Stop Motion settings are also available for recording subjects transform over time. Additionally, a 3.5mm microphone input is available for improved external audio capture.
Body Design and Wireless Connectivity
- A large OLED Live View Finder has a high 3.68m-dot resolution and 0.73x magnification for bright and clear eye-level composition.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0" 1.84m-dot rear LCD monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- DMW-BLG10PP lithium-ion battery offers approximately 270 shots per charge with the rear LCD, 250 shots per charge with the LVF, or approximately 900 shots per charge when working in the Power Save LVF mode. Additionally, the battery can be charged in-camera via USB or via AC power.
- A dedicated Send Images button on the top plate, along with built-in 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Low Energy connectivity, allows for wireless image sharing and remote camera control from linked smartphones and tablets. Bluetooth LE also enables a constant connection to your mobile device, allowing for functions such as geolocation and automatic image transfer.
4K PHOTO Modes
Utilizing the G100's video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8MP stills at a 30-fps shooting rate:
- Burst: This mode will allow you to continuously record, making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- Pre-Burst: This mode is ideal for times when you're unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record images one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8MP frame.
Post Focus and Focus Stacking
Another attribute of the 4K capabilities is a unique focusing method called Post Focus. Working in conjunction with the contrast-detection focusing system and the intelligent Depth from Defocus (DFD) technology, Post Focus records imagery as a 4K MP4 file at 30 fps and shifts the specific point of focus throughout the burst shooting in order to offer a range of distinct focusing ranges to choose from. During playback, via the camera's touchscreen, you can then tap the specific region of the image you wish to be in focus and an 8MP JPEG file will be created. Multiple individual files with different points of focus can be created from the original burst, and focusing assist functions can also be used to gain even more precise control over the specific in-focus region.
This technology also allows for producing focus stacked images in-camera to realize a greater depth of field, especially when photographing close-up subjects. In this mode, images are recorded and saved with varying points of focus and then blended together to gain an extended depth of field.
Depth-From-Defocus AF System
For accelerated autofocus performance, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position, which enables continuous shooting with continuous AF. This contrast-detection type focus method benefits both still and video recording modes, as well as subject tracking applications where subject color, size, and motion vectors are used to intelligently lock-onto the moving subjects and ensure precise focus. When working with portrait subjects, face/eye detection capabilities make it easier to photograph people and prioritize focusing as specifically as on a subject's pupil. The focusing sensitivity and speed can be adjusted to further improve performance with certain subjects. Additionally, AF sensitivity down to -4 EV supports working in low-light conditions.
Other Camera Features
- Selfie Functions: Soft Skin Mode, Filter Effects, Background Control, Slimming Mode, Hands-Free Face Shutter Mode, and Self Timer.
- In-camera image editing is possible, and enables you to split video clips, resize and crop images, develop raw image files, and even retouch and remove objects from photos.
Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH. Lens
Included with the camera body is the Lumix G Vario 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH.; a slim 24-64mm-equivalent zoom featuring a retractable design. Its optical design uses three aspherical elements and one extra-low dispersion element to correct spherical and chromatic aberrations for notable sharpness and clarity throughout the zoom range. A stepping AF motor and internal focus design are also employed for quick, quiet focusing performance that suits movie and photo applications, and MEGA O.I.S. helps to ensure sharp handheld photos by compensating for the effects of camera shake.
Panasonic Lumix DC-G100 Mirrorless Digital Camera With 12-32mm Lens
|Lens Mount||Micro Four Thirds|
|Camera Format||Micro Four Thirds (2x Crop Factor)|
|Pixels||Actual: 21.77 Megapixel |
Effective: 20.3 Megapixel
|Maximum Resolution||5184 x 3888|
|Aspect Ratio||1:1, 3:2, 4:3, 4:5, 16:9|
|Sensor Size||17.3 x 13 mm|
|Image File Format||JPEG, Raw|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor-Shift, 5-Axis|
|ISO Sensitivity||200 to 25600 (Extended: 100 to 25600)|
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Multiple, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Auto, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority|
|White Balance||Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Daylight, Flash, Incandescent, Shade, White Set 1, White Set 2, White Set 3, White Set 4|
|Recording Modes||MP4 4:2:0 8-Bit |
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.976p/29.97p
Full HD (1920 x 1080) at 29.97p/59.94p
|External Recording Modes||4:2:2 8-Bit |
Full HD (1920 x 1080)
|Audio Recording||Built-In Microphone (Stereo) |
External Microphone Input
|Audio File Format||AAC|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Automatic (A), Continuous-Servo AF (C), Flexible (AFF), Manual Focus (M)|
|Viewfinder Type||Electronic (OLED)|
|Viewfinder Resolution||3,680,000 Dot|
|Viewfinder Eye Point||20 mm|
|Viewfinder Magnification||Approx. 0.73x|
|Monitor Resolution||1,840,000 Dot|
|Monitor Type||Articulating Touchscreen LCD|
|External Flash Connection||Hot Shoe|
|Memory Card Slot||Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II)|
|Connectivity||USB Micro-B (USB 2.0), HDMI D (Micro)|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Operating Humidity||10 to 80%|
|Battery||1 x DMW-BLG10PP Rechargeable Lithium-Ion, 7.2 VDC, 1025 mAh (Approx. 270 Shots)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.55 x 3.25 x 2.13" / 115.6 x 82.5 x 54.2 mm (Excluding Protrusions)|
|Weight||12.42 oz / 352 g (Body with Battery and Memory)|
|Focal Length||12 to 32mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 24 to 64mm)|
|Maximum Aperture||f/3.5 to 5.6|
|Angle of View||84° to 37°|
|Minimum Focus Distance||7.87" / 20 cm|
|Optical Design||8 Elements in 7 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||7, Rounded|
|Filter Size||37 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||2.19 x 0.94" / 55.5 x 24 mm|
|Weight||2.47 oz / 70 g|