- 24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor
- DIGIC X Image Processor
- UHD 4K 30p Video Recording
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF II with 651 Points
- 2.36m-Dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3.0" 1.62m-Dot Vari-Angle Touchscreen
- 15 fps Electronic Shutter
- Multi-Function Shoe, UVC Livestreaming
- RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
- RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM Lens
The Canon EOS R50 Mirrorless Camera with 18-45mm and 55-210mm Lenses (Black) makes photography fun, simple, and convenient with intuitive photo functions that capture beautiful images automatically, just as you imagine them. A host of video functions such as 6K oversampled 4K 30p capture and Dual Pixel CMOS AF II makes the EOS R50 a great camera for movie recording and vlogging as well. The 24.2 Megapixel APS-C size CMOS Image sensor and DIGIC X image processor ensure high image quality in a compact and lightweight form factor.
24.2MP APS-C CMOS Sensor and DIGIC X Processing
Pairing a powerful 24.2MP APS-C CMOS sensor and DIGIC X image processor, the R50 delivers high resolution imagery with striking and accurate colors. Designed to work in a variety of lighting condition, this camera offers a flexible ISO 100-32000 range that is expandable to ISO 51200 for working in difficult lighting conditions. Using the full width of the sensor, 6K oversampled UHD 4K 30p video recording is supported as is Full HD 1080 120p for slow motion playback. Additionally, 1-hour of video recording is now available. Capable of processing high speed bursts and high-resolution 4K video, the DIGIC X image processor also supports up to 15 fps continuous shooting via its silent electronic shutter.
Enhanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF II
Featuring 651 high precision autofocus zones, the advanced Dual Pixel CMOS AF II system provides fast and accurate focusing performance. This phase-detection focusing system offers enhanced subject detection and tracking, with the ability to intelligently recognize people, animals, and vehicles while automatically locking onto these subjects and maintaining sharp focus throughout bursts and video captures.
2.36m-Dot EVF and Vari-Angle Touchscreen LCD
Providing high-resolution eye-level viewing, the R50 is designed with a bright and clear 2.36m-dot OLED EVF for a pleasing electronic viewfinder experience. Additionally, a large 3.0" 1.62m-dot vari-angle touchscreen provides an intuitive interface for controlling focusing points, navigating menus, and reviewing imagery. This screen also features a vari-angle design for ease-of-use when working from high and low angles.
Advanced A+ Assist
Experience the joy of creative photography with an expanded array of auto-compatible scenes. Advanced A+ Assist enables great imagery even in difficult settings such as night views and backlit scenarios. Overexposure is automatically reduced so you can capture dynamic scenes or bright portraits, and multiple continuous shots are taken to create beautiful night images or macro photography with a deeper depth of field.
Simple and Convenient Vlogging
With video recording features such as uncropped UHD 4K movie recording at up to 30 fps, Full-HD High-frame rate movie recording at up to 120 fps, Dual Pixel CMOS AF tracking, and Movie for Close-up Demo Mode, the R50 camera makes vlogging and video content creation simple and convenient. The camera also lets you continuously record video for up to 1 hour, allowing you to set up your video and keep your vlog, podcast, or other video project rolling without worrying about it stopping.
Movie for Close-Up Demos Mode
Ensure the correct subject is in focus with Movie for Close-Up Demos Mode on the R50 mirrorless camera. This mode quickly switches focus from the on-camera subject to an object that is presented towards the camera's lens, ideal for movies where showing a product to the viewers is necessary such as in makeup demos or cooking videos.
Vertical Movie Mode and Aspect Markers
Movie rotation information can be set during or after movie recording, allowing videos to be played in vertical composition when viewing on a smartphone. The Aspect Markers function displays visual markers for different aspect ratios that may be desired for posting the same file to various social media sites. This display provides consideration for proper composition for the different deliverable files that can be created when editing.
- Wired and wireless connectivity options allow for multiple methods of transferring photos and videos, livestreaming, as well as for remotely controlling the camera. Physically, the camera features a USB-C port, a micro-HDMI port, and a microphone port for video recording.
- UVC/UAC compatibility allows the R50 camera to be used as a web camera to stream live video in Full HD without additional computer software. Compatible applications include Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and similar on-line web conferencing software.
- Built-in Bluetooth pairing lets you easily connect the camera to compatible smart devices using the free Canon Camera Connect app. This low-energy wireless connection helps preserve battery life, while providing remote control of the camera. It also sends continuously updated GPS location data from your phone, letting you geotag what you've captured so you know precisely where you captured the photo.
- Built-in Wi-Fi connectivity enables quick and seamless wireless functions, such as remote live view, file viewing, and transfer. Using the Canon Camera Connect app, you can also transfer files to your mobile device to browse and share on social media.
- Built-in USB-C allows you to connect the camera to a smartphone or computer. All Canon Camera Connect app features that can be used with Wi-Fi are now available when the camera and smartphone are connected via USB, using a compatible cable for your device.
Pop-Up Flash and Next-Generation Multi-Function Shoe
A built-in pop-up flash provides additional illumination for working in low-light conditions, and the camera's Multi-Function Shoe adds a row of pins at the front of the design to permit greater accessory functionality. This next-generation shoe also provides power to select accessory types that traditionally rely on separate batteries.
Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
A versatile zoom range in a compact package is the promise of the Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens. Made specifically for Canon's APS-C-format R Series mirrorless line, it delivers a wide-angle to short telephoto equivalent zoom range of 29-72mm. Plus, a retractable design makes it ideal for everyday carry where you want to stuff the camera in a bag.
Canon has taken care with the optical design, using two aspherical elements and the Super Spectra Coating to minimize aberrations and reduce ghosting and flare. An Optical Image Stabilizer will help ensure sharp imagery, providing up to 4 stops of shake correction or up to 6 stops of Coordinated IS with a compatible camera body. Additionally, the lead screw-type STM AF system is fast enough to keep up with speedy continuous focus while being smooth and quiet enough to work for video.
Canon RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM Lens (Canon RF)
Offering a versatile zoom range in a lightweight and portable design, the Canon RF-S 55-210mm f/5-7.1 IS STM Lens is well-suited for sports and wildlife applications. Providing an 88-336mm equivalent focal length range, this sleek telephoto zoom lens is designed for APS-C-format EOS R-series mirrorless cameras. The lens also offers a minimum focusing distance of 2.3' for working with close-up subjects. Complementing the optical design and telephoto reach, an Optical Image Stabilizer compensates for up to 4.5 stops of camera shake to benefit handheld shooting with slower shutter speeds. Additionally, an STM stepping motor is also featured, which produces fast, smooth, and near-silent autofocus performance to support both stills and video recording applications.
- Telephoto zoom lens for RF-mount APS-C format mirrorless cameras provides an 88-336mm equivalent focal length range.
- Optical Image Stabilizer technology compensates for up to 4.5 stops of camera shake to better enable taking sharp handheld photos in difficult lighting conditions. When paired with EOS R-series cameras featuring an In-Body Image Stabilizer (IBIS), up to 7 stops of shake correction are provided.
- STM stepping motor offers fast, quiet, smooth, and accurate autofocus performance that is ideal for video recording as well as still shooting.
- Two Ultra-Low Dispersion elements and a Super Spectra Coating minimize ghosting and flare.
- Minimum focusing distance of 28.7" for working with close-up subjects.
- Compact and lightweight lens weighs just 9.5 oz.
Canon EOS R50 Mirrorless Camera (Black) Specs
|Lens Mount||Canon RF|
|Sensor Resolution||Effective: 24.2 Megapixel|
|Sensor Type||22.3 x 14.9 mm (APS-C) CMOS|
|Built-In ND Filter||None|
|Capture Type||Stills & Video|
|Shutter Type||Electronic Shutter|
|Shutter Speed||Electronic Shutter
1/8000 Up to 30 Seconds
Electronic Front Curtain Shutter
1/4000 Up to 30 Seconds
|Bulb/Time Mode||Bulb Mode, Time Mode|
100 to 32,000 (Extended: 51,200)
|Metering Method||Center-Weighted Average, Evaluative, Partial, Spot|
|Exposure Modes||Aperture Priority, Manual, Program, Shutter Priority|
|Exposure Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|Metering Range||-2 to 20 EV|
|White Balance||Presets: Auto, Cloudy, Color Temperature, Custom, Daylight, Flash, Fluorescent (White), Shade, Tungsten|
|Continuous Shooting||Electronic Shutter
Up to 15 fps for up to 28 Frames (JPEG) / 7 Frames (Raw)
Up to 12 fps for up to 42 Frames (JPEG) / 7 Frames (Raw)
|Image File Format||C-RAW, HEIF, JPEG, Raw|
|Internal Recording Modes||H.264/H.265/MPEG-4
UHD 4K (3840 x 2160) at 23.98/25/29.97 fps
1920 x 1080 at 23.98/25/29.97/50/59.94/100/120 fps
|Built-In Microphone Type||Stereo|
|Media/Memory Card Slot||Single Slot: SD/SDHC/SDXC|
|Video I/O||1 x Micro-HDMI Output|
|Audio I/O||1 x 1/8" / 3.5 mm TRS Stereo Microphone Input on Camera Body|
|Other I/O||1 x USB-C Input/Output|
|Wireless||2.4 / 5 GHz Bluetooth 4.2 Control|
|Mobile App Compatible||Yes
*As of February, 2023: Check with manufacturer for the most up-to-date compatibility
|Global Positioning (GPS, GLONASS, etc.)||None|
|Display Type||Articulating Touchscreen LCD|
|Type||Built-In Electronic (OLED)|
|Eye Point||22 mm|
|Diopter Adjustment||-3 to +1|
|Focus Type||Auto and Manual Focus|
|Focus Mode||Continuous-Servo AF, Manual Focus, Single-Servo AF|
Phase Detection: 4503
Phase Detection: 3713
|Autofocus Sensitivity||-4 to +20 EV|
|Maximum Sync Speed||1/250 Second|
|Flash Compensation||-3 to +3 EV (1/3 EV Steps)|
|Dedicated Flash System||eTTL|
|External Flash Connection||Intelligent Hot Shoe|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Operating Humidity||0 to 85% (Recommended)|
|Battery Type||1 x LP-E17 Rechargeable Lithium Polymer, 7.2 VDC, 1040 mAh|
|Tripod Mounting Thread||1 x 1/4"-20 Female (Bottom)|
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||4.6 x 3.4 x 2.7" / 116.3 x 85.5 x 68.8 mm|
|Weight||13.2 oz / 375 g (With Battery, Recording Media)
11.6 oz / 328 g (Body Only)
Canon RF-S 18-45mm F/4.5-6.3 IS STM Lens Specs
|Focal Length||18 to 45mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 29 to 72mm)|
|Maximum Aperture||f/4.5 to 6.3|
|Lens Mount||Canon RF|
|Lens Format Coverage||APS-C|
|Angle of View||74° 20' to 33° 40'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||7.9" / 20 cm|
|Optical Design||7 Elements in 7 Groups|
|Diaphragm Blades||7, Rounded|
|Filter Size||49 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||2.7 x 1.7" / 68.9 x 44.3 mm|
|Weight||4.6 oz / 130 g|
|Package Weight||0.505 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||5.3 x 4 x 3.7"|
Canon RF-S 55-210mm F/5-7.1 IS STM Lens (Canon RF) Specs
|Focal Length||55 to 210mm (35mm Equivalent Focal Length: 88 to 336mm)|
|Maximum Aperture||f/5 to 7.1|
|Lens Mount||Canon RF-S|
|Lens Format Coverage||APS-C|
|Angle of View||27° 50' to 7° 25'|
|Minimum Focus Distance||2.3' / 70 cm|
|Optical Design||11 Elements in 8 Groups|
|Filter Size||55 mm (Front)|
|Dimensions (ø x L)||2.7 x 3.7" / 6.9 x 9.4 cm|
|Length at Maximum Extension||5.3" / 13.5 cm|
|Weight||9.5 oz / 270 g|