Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF (Body Only)
- Usually ships in 2-3 business days
- 9.85 LBS
- Super 35mm 8.3MP CMOS Sensor
- 1920x1080 60/50i, 24/25p, PF30, PF24
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Hardware Upgrade
- EF Lens Mount
- ISO 320 to 80,000
- Uncompressed HDMI Output with Timecode
- Canon Log and Wide DR Gamma
- Dual SD/SDHC/SDXC Memory Card Slots
- Two XLR Audio Connectors
- Built-In ND Filters with Manual Controls
The Canon EOS C100 Cinema EOS Camera with Dual Pixel CMOS AF is an updated version of Canon's compact Cinema EOS camera designed for event videographers, documentarians, and independent filmmakers. This updated version provides a new continuous autofocus function for all Canon autofocus lenses, using Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. This new feature provides faster and more accurate autofocusing to assist users when operating with small crews.
The EOS C100 uses the same Super 35mm Canon CMOS sensor and DIGIC DV III image processor as its big brother, the C300. With an EF lens mount, the camera is compatible with the full range of Canon EF, EF-S, and EF Cinema lenses. This is particularly useful for DSLR shooters who have already invested in Canon lenses. The camera uses the AVCHD codec to record 1080p video up to 24 Mbps. It supports dual SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards which, thanks to the efficient AVCHD codec, allows you to record nearly three hours of HD video on a single 32GB card. For professional applications, you can also record clean, uncompressed 4:2:2 video with embedded timecode via the HDMI output.
The ergonomic design of the EOS C100 is streamlined to support one-person shoots. Weighing only 2.2 pounds in its basic configuration, the camera's flexible modular design supports a variety of shooting styles. Additional features such as One-Shot AF and Push Auto Iris allow operators to spend less time checking camera settings and more time capturing cinematic footage.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF Technology
- This hardware upgrade provides an autofocus mode to help ensure sharp focus and smooth focus transitions. It provides a new Continuous AF (Autofocus) function for all autofocus lenses, using Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology. A new AF Lock setting also lets you change the image framing while holding the desired focus. This feature is ideal for users who regularly shoot with smaller crews, who shoot moving subjects, or who want smoother, more natural-looking autofocus.
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology features a CMOS sensor that consists of an array of pixels that each feature two separate photodiodes. By continuously comparing their outputs during AF mode, phase-difference autofocus helps ensure non-blurred images and smooth focus transitions even when the talent and/or camera are moving. The new feature places a high priority on maintaining sharp focus while providing a natural, smooth autofocus movement with select Canon EF lenses — including newer-generation STM lenses — which offer even smoother and quieter operation.
- Continuous Recording
- The continuous, nonstop recording function allows you to create In and Out points in the footage every time the START/STOP button is pressed. At this time, the continuous recording function is compatible with Grass Valley's EDIUS Pro 7 software.
- 320 to 80,000 ISO Range
- With an extended ISO range from 320 to 80,000, the EOS C100 is even more sensitive to light than it was before. This lets you shoot usable footage during low-light and night shoots, even when using available or ambient lighting as your main light source. Being able to operate under lower light levels means you can work quickly with smaller crews and resources, ideal for low-budget and independent filmmakers.
- Menu Navigation via Camera Buttons
- Internal camera menus are now controllable from buttons on the camera body. While previously a removable joystick was the only way to control the internal menus, now buttons on the rear of the camera under the built-in monitor can be used. This lets you access the menus when the side grip is removed.
- Viewfinder Magnification Location Shift
- Manually move the center of the camera's magnification viewing area to one of 25 different locations throughout the image frame using the joystick. Now camera operators can easily check focus even on subjects that are located away from the center of the image frame.
- Record Button Lock
- The Key Lock setting now makes it possible to lock all operations, including the record button. This helps to prevent accidental operation during a critical shoot by the operator inadvertently pressing a wrong button.
- Support for New Remote Controller
- Scheduled to be available around June 2014, the new versatile RC-V100 Remote Controller will provide full access to all important user functions such as start-stop, shutter/gain adjustments, zoom/focus/iris control, custom picture values, while balance, black gamma, and more. The remote can also be used to adjust various menu settings. A SETUP mode lets you customize a number of key rotary controls, as well as user procedures and operating models. The RC-V100 is powered from the connected camcorder via a 15' (5m) cable. A USB port enables the unit's firmware to be updated to support future remote-control functions.
- Enhanced Peripheral Lens Correction Support
- The firmware update adds Peripheral Illumination Correction Data for several Canon EF and Canon Cinema lenses. By maintaining even illumination from corner to corner of each image frame, Peripheral Lens Correction helps eliminate vignetting and other unevenness of light across the sensor, using specific lens characteristics such as focal length, aperture, and distance settings. Visit Canon's website for a complete listing of supported lenses.
- Super 35mm 8.3MP CMOS Sensor
- The C100's Super 35mm-sized sensor provides an angle-of-view and depth of field that equivalent to that of traditional Super 35mm film. With a native resolution of 8.3MP and a wider pixel pitch than conventional professional camcorders, the C100's sensor offers enhanced sensitivity and reduced noise in low light environments.
- DIGIC DV III Image Processor
- Designed and built by Canon for the highest HD RGB processing, the DIGIC DV III Image Processor uses proprietary circuits and architecture to deliver the highest image quality at the highest speeds, with low power consumption and minimal heat output. It processes the RGB representations that originate in the single CMOS sensor of the camera into three channels (Red, Blue, and Green) to maintain the rich resolution and clean color fidelity formerly possible only in three-chip sensor designs.
- Low Light Sensitivity
- Working together, the Super 35mm sensor and DIGIC DV III Image Processor achieve a high signal-to-noise ratio that enables recordings with great detail and dynamic range even in minimal light.
- Canon Log Gamma and Wide DR Gamma
- Canon Log records an image with subdued contrast and sharpness, which preserves a high dynamic range and presupposes color grading in post production. Canon Log Gamma emphasizes rich gradients from mid-range to highlights, resulting in 12-stops of dynamic range. At ISO 850 and above, Canon Log Gamma enables 5.3 stops of latitude above optimal exposure (and 6.7 stops below), broadening the available dynamic range in color grading.
- Wide DR Gamma yields wide dynamic range by suppressing brightness while maintaining gradations, but is designed to produce finished-looking images without requiring any color grading in post-production.
- EF Lens Mount with EF Contacts
- The C100 is fully compatible with Canon's renowned EF mount lenses. Even specialty lenses, such as Canon's 24mm f/3.5L II tilt shift lens or the 8-15mm f/4L Ultra-Wide Zoom fisheye lens, are available on the C100. When shooting with EF lenses, C100 features peripheral illumination correction, which automatically compensates for light fall-off in the corners of the image.
- Multiple Recording Modes and Frame Rates
- The EOS C100 supports AVCHD bit rates up to 24Mbps (LPCM) at a maximum resolution of 1920x1080. Frame rates of 60i, 50i, 24p, 25p, PF30, and PF24 are all available to meet the needs of your production workflow. In addition, the 60i frame rate offers reduced rolling shutter artifacts. The EOS C100 supports relay recording of long takes between dual SD cards or can write video to both cards for redundancy in the event of SD card failure. Pre REC mode buffers approximately three seconds before the tally light activates.
- Uncompress HDMI Out with Timecode
- The C100 outputs an uncompressed signal via HDMI. This signal superimposes timecode and the 2:3 pulldown marker, which means an external recorder and converter can process the HDMI output as an SDI signal. External recorders provide an instant back-up and help to streamline post-production workflows.
- Compact and Ergonomic Design
- The EOS C100 is designed with the solo shooter in mind. It is 85% smaller than the Canon C300, 14.5 ounces (410 grams) lighter, and it is based on a mobile core design that allows additional accessories to be attached depending on the situation. Strip the EOS C100 down for a "run-and-gun" style, or complement the camera with the full range of camera-mounted accessories. With a compact body, you can even shoot dual-camera 3D without an over-sized and cumbersome rig. Its light weight reduces user fatigue and allows even elaborate rigging systems to remain mobile enough for a single operator. The removable accessory hand grip rotates 360 degrees for comfortable shooting positions, while customizable hardware buttons allow the EOS C100 to fit your own personal shooting preferences.
- Removable Top Handle with XLR Inputs and Stereo Microphone
- The C100 includes a top mounted handle unit, which features two XLR connectors and a microphone shock mount. XLR connections offer a high quality audio input for professional grade microphones and facilitate 2 channel 48kHz linear PCM (24Mbps) audio recordings.
- High Resolution EVF and Integrated LCD Display
- Accurately check focus, composition, and exposure with the 1.56 million dot-equivalent 0.24" electronic viewfinder with 100% coverage. The built-in 3.5" 920k dot LCD tilts 100 degrees for flexibility when composing tough perspective shots and rotates 180 degrees to protect the screen when not in use. Use the LCD display to review footage or to view the EOS C100's waveform monitor.
- AVCHD File Based Recording to SD Cards
- The EOS C100 records video to SDHC/SDXC cards using AVCHD, a high-efficiency codec that has quickly become a standard in both the professional and consumer video markets. Maximum bit-rate is 24Mbps. Video files greater than 2GB are split into multiple files while recording, which are automatically joined together upon import using Canon Data Import. AVCHD video is widely supported across NLE systems and is the standard codec for Blu-Ray.
- Full Manual Control and Focusing Aids
- The EOS C100 offers complete manual control of each aspect of the recording process. Create and recall custom picture settings, camera functions, and display options. The camera also features several powerful and intuitive focusing aids in both the EVF and LCD monitor that make it easy to confirm critical focus distance; Peaking Modes and Magnify Focus Modes are available while in standby or while recording. Additionally, the LCD features Edge Monitor Display; green waveforms display the overall focus of the scene and red waveforms provide focus feedback of the three focus check boxes visible on the LCD monitor.
- One Shot AF and Push Auto Iris
- One-Shot AF executes focus adjustments with a dedicated button, and the Push Auto Iris button automatically adjusts the aperture of the lens to quickly and easily maintain proper exposure. Both of these functions can be accessed even when operating in manual mode.
- Built-in ND Filters
- In excessively bright environments neutral density filters are often required to avoid over exposure, without compromising desirable shutter and aperture settings. The C100 features built-in ND filters in three densities, which make for four ND configurations (OFF, 2 stops, 4 stops, 6 stops). The built-in ND filters are deployed via a manual dial.
- Remote Terminal
- Remotely control the EOS C100 via its LANC-compatible remote terminal. Remote operation allows for single-person operation even in creative rigging situations.
- Additional Features
- Waveform monitor; standard and RGB modes
- Exposure/Focus aids: Peaking, Zebra, Magnify, Edge Monitor Focus Assist, Black and White Mode
- Drop Frame (DF) or Non-Drop Frame (NDF) Timecode
- Timecode modes: Regen, Record Run, Free Run
- Nice Customized Picture Profiles available in camera and up to 20 can be saved to an SD card
- Custom picture profiles can be adjusted using the following settings: Gamma, Black, Black Gamma, Low Key Saturation, Knee, Sharpness, Noise Balance, Color Correction, Setup Level
- 15 assignable function buttons
- SMPTE, EBU, or ARIB standard color bars can be selected
|Image Sensor Size||24.6 x 13.8 mm (Super35)|
|Sensor Resolution||4206 x 2340 (9.84 MP)|
|Effective Sensor Resolution||3840 x 2160 (8.29 MP)|
|ISO||320 to 80,000|
|Gain||-6 to 30 dB (Expanded) |
0 to 24 dB (Native)
|Lens Mount||Canon EF|
|Lens Communication||Yes, with Autofocus Support|
|Shutter Speed||1/3 to 1/2000 sec|
|Shutter Angle||11.25 to 360°|
|Built-In ND Filter||Mechanical Filter Wheel with 2 Stop (1/4), 4 Stop (1/16), 6 Stop (1/64) ND Filters|
|Recording Media||2 x SDXC Card Slots|
|Recording Modes||AVCHD 4:2:0 8-Bit: |
1920 x 1080p at 24/25/30 fps (24 MB/s)
|Audio Recording||2-Channel 16-Bit 48 kHz|
|Video Connectors||1 x HDMI Output|
|Audio Connectors||2 x 3-Pin XLR (+48 V Phantom Power) Input |
1 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Stereo Input
1 x 1/8" (3.5 mm) Stereo Headphone Output
|Other I/O||1 x 2.5 mm LANC Control Input |
1 x USB Mini-B
|Screen Resolution||640 x 480 (922,000 Dots)|
|EVF Resolution||960 x 540 (1,560,000 Dots)|
|Battery Type||Canon BP-9 Series|
|Power Connectors||1 x Barrel Input|
|Operating Temperature||32 to 104°F / 0 to 40°C|
|Accessory Mount||1 x 1/4"-20 Female Thread |
1 x Cold Shoe Mount
|Dimensions||7.2 x 11.1 x 9.3" / 18.2 x 28.1 x 23.6 cm|
|Weight||3.2 lb / 1.5 kg|
|Package Weight||9.85 lb|
|Box Dimensions (LxWxH)||15.1 x 10.8 x 10.6"|